Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Yeah. So, as we all know, I am spoiled, weak, and have no self-control. So... I finished it.

If you don't want to know any details about the book, read no further.





No, really.




I mean it.




You've been warned.




Sigh.





Some people.





First of all, I guessed the book's big secrets (Dumbledore= dead, Snape = Half Blood Prince) from the New York Times' supposedly spoiler-free review. Ummm....I suppose it would be spoiler-free for people who had NEVER SEEN A MOVIE BEFORE. Just had to get that off my chest.

Aside from the "all you need is love" wankiness toward the end, this book came damn near to topping the third one in my affections. Unlike the fifth book, which left me feeling a bit irritated, both with the death of Sirius and Harry's dunderheaded behavior in general, and thinking that my love affair with the books was maaaaaybe just a little bit over, this book left me on the edge of my seat waiting to see how things would play out. Yes, I sacrificed valuable blogging time to sprawling across a decadently-styled Ming reproduction canopy bed and feverishly turning pages. That all said: I do not think Snape is actually evil. I think his killing Dumbledore was some kind of pre-arranged plan. For further evidence: he prevents the apparently still-redeemable Draco from killing Dumbledore, and he prevents HARRY from using an unforgiveable curse (apparently having seen the most recent Star Wars movie and understanding that when the Chosen Ones turn to the Dark Side, things get Very Bad Indeed). So. I suspect both Snape and Draco will end up, if not exactly on Our Team by the end, at least deciding that My Enemy's Enemy Is My Friend, and that Voldemort is the enemy. And, because I am a vengeful girl, I want something horrible to happen to Dolores Umbridge. Because she is The Suck.

I now return this blog to items of interest to those of you who have a properly established beachhead in the Adult World.

2 Comments:

Blogger Morgan said...

You read Harry POtter blogs???

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nerds, the both of you!

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home